Carrot & Thyme Soup
It’s winter and it’s cold outside (at least in New York City anyways). Cue up the tasty and hearty soup please.
This soup recipe is really simple and only has six main ingredients. I went to a restaurant recently and saw a similar dish on a menu that used butter and cream so I just played around with a recipe to make a purely paleo version. Given that my husband loves spicy foods, I tried to heat things up (wink wink). Ok – I meant I added jalapenos. Feel free to take that out and the cauliflower as well. I’m just in a vegetable kick and wanted to add as much veggies as I could.
This is one of those recipes that I absolutely love, regardless of being paleo or not. It is now my husband’s favorite new soup! I find it as soothing as the combination of Chris and Eddie singing Hunger Strike to me…
1lb medium sized carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch slices
1 large sweet onion, sliced
1 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
8 oz cauliflower florets
4 cups chicken broth
1 large jalapeno pepper, sliced (optional)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
1. In a heated saute pan coated with olive oil – saute the onions, cauliflower and carrots until onions are caramelized (about 15 minutes). Stir frequently.
2. Add the thyme and sliced jalapenos with the vegetables. Mix together in saute pan.
3. Pour the sauteed vegetables in a large blender along with your chicken broth. Puree until creamy and smooth texture.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve and enjoy! I prefer this hot but my husband likes it cold. Let me know what you like better!